Monday 10 November 2008

How old is not young?

Or how young is not old? However you care to pose it, the point is there comes a time when you stop being a young band. Are you then simply: a band, before you make the final step to becoming a mature or an old band? And does it matter?

Well, if you still have ambitions to 'make it' ("whatever that means?" -thanks young Mr Turner), then it does. Record companies tend to only really be interested in signing up-and-coming young bands. Sure, occasionally a 30-something unknown gets a deal, often it's a singer/songwriter-type; the first that come to mind are BabyBird and Seasick Steve - I'm sure there are more. But generally speaking they want young, attractive, edgey and rebellious types; sexy, moody, unattached, irresponsible, unpredictable. They want headline-makers not home-makers.

Being a budding rock-star myself, I know I was not pleased about turning 30. I didn't want a party or to party. I didn't feel like celebrating. It felt like the beginning of the end. Okay, there were a few other factors that contributed to this negativity but the major one was the feeling that I was running out of time to realise my dream.

I am now 41 so I have had plenty of time to get over it, but have I gotten over it? For budding rock-stars like myself, turning thirty has this added stigma. One's chances of 'making it' have narrowed again. So what is one to do? Well, you have to keep on rocking because of course it's in your heart, it's what drives you, it is you. If you, like me, against your parents' and your Careers adviser's advice, sacrificed a university education and a conventional career path to stubbornly pursue a rock 'n' roll dream, you too will not be giving up easily. But slowly and surely it begins to sink in. You begin to realise the dream of commercial success is over. The dream is then kept alive, and success is achieved by maintaining the passion. Keeping the real you alive. And that is where a lot of us are at. Am I wrong?

One thing that has struck me about putting the Rock-Til-You-Drop website together is the lack of bands that have come forward to be included. This is probably because it takes a while to come to terms with the fact that you are indeed mature. Some never do. According to Bev who works at our rehearsal studios she has grown men weeping in front of her about coming to terms with getting old! Once a budding rock-star who hasn't realised his dream turns 30, I think he spends most of the next ten years letting himself down as gently as possible from the dizzy heights of his rock 'n' roll dream. Or was that just me?

Famous or not, a lot of musicians and bands make some of their best music in their 30s. They play and perform with more confidence and they have learnt more about the recording process and how to craft a good song. I know I wrote some of my best songs in my early 30s. They don't need revamping or rewiting, they're not embarassing to sing or naively written; there's nothing immature about them. So if this theory is correct, there should be a lot of very good unknown bands in their 30s, even 40s, out there. If you feel you are one of them, please get in touch.

1 comment:

Colin Brown said...

Hi Toby..great idea for a site! I am 48yrs now but feel short-changed because I didn't start playing/gigging until I was 30! the reason for this was originally my parents didn't want me to get into drums "after all it's not a musical instrument is it" even tho I knew I was a natural..strange to say as it sounds conceited but it's true. When i was little I used to put clingfilm over tupperware bowls and drum on them using knitting needles! When I was serving my time as a printer in my teens I would use two pieces of thin wood(used s spacing between the lead letters)and entertain my colleagues by drumming "around"printing machines!
Then it was women then marriage,kids etc that kept me away from ever (god forbid) buying a kit.
Before I knew it I was 30 and divorced.This was now the time to see If I was a natural.Before I contemplated buying a kit I decided to have drum lessons just to see if I liked it or really wanted to do it.I didn't want the whole teaching package,just enough to be able to play.
After 4 lessons my tutor said he didn't need me to go back as I was indeed a natural! Yay...but to get a kit and find a band. This I proceeded to do.
I left my most recent band about 4yrs ago due to illness and haven't gigged since. I'm fit and able to gig now but I feel that I may have missed the boat a tad?
I would love to be in band that played all the old metal stuff that I grew up withbut didn't manage to do..like Saxon,Priest,AC/DC,UFO etc!
Any comments/advice greatfully received
Colin