Friday 16 January 2009

Mr Pound

So, a few weeks ago I was talking about my frustration at not writing songs as much as I used to. I signed off informing you that I was off to try and write a song about Woolies closing down to get the songwriting juices flowing again. Well, I just finished it. It's been a while in the making but that's how I like it. It's called 'Mr Pound' and comes with verse, bridge and and a very catchy chorus. I toiled over the arrangement for about a week. Singing it this way. Singing it that way. V-B-C, V-B-C, Mid-8, B-C or V-B, V-B-C, V-B-C, Mid-8, B-C. the latter is a favourite of mine.

It talks about the last days of Woolworths, the stalwarts 'gathering to pay their last respects' and 'the children arriving to scoop their last pick n mix'. It mentions 'Sheila' who 'worked the record counter' of the Woolies in my home town and mentions the chequered vinyl floors of 'the Woolies that time forgot'. The chorus is me coming to terms with weekends now spent browsing the aisles of the likes of Mr Pound, Poundland and Poundstretchers.

It's been a labour of love over the last couple of weeks. I will miss it. This is how I used to feel. The song now has to be released into it's natural habitat, the public domain. I don't like the pain of letting it go, I love it. But first, the band will play their part and add their flourishes and further hooks and refrains. I look forward to this too.

We have three gigs lined up for the first half of 2009, which is great. In February, March and May. February is another 'Wunderstock' gig, this time at Tommy Flynns. March is the Rock-Til-You-Drop night at the Dublin Castle and in May were playing outdoors at a mini-festival, which sounds like fun.

Right. To work on the next song...

No comments: