Tuesday 3 March 2009

The Times they are a-featuring rock-til-you-drop.com

One week to go before Rock-Til-You-Drop's night at the Dublin Castle. Today the site got a mention in The Times. While it wasn't that large a feature (that's cos it was small) it was the first time in a national newspaper; my dad would be proud of me, and mum, of course. I wouldn't listen to my parent's advice to work on establishing a career to fall back on, so here I am. A self-employed drug addiction treatment co-ordinator (a chanced-upon arbitrary career path), a practising artist (not having had a solo show yet or sold a piece of work in 9 months), the founder of social network (so far no more than a vast act of altruism), an amateur (i.e. non-professional) musician, and a house-husband and school-runner (no complaints about the latter). Always busy but not earning very much. My wife is the bread-winner. She is the one who has so kindly let me spend some time finding myself....again?

When I worked full-time at the clinic I used to use this to define myself in social situations. As I still work occasionally for clinic, albeit in a freelance capacity, I still take this course of action from time to time, if someone asks me what I do; as they did the other night at a fancy dress party that I had half-heartedly dressed up for by applying an adhesive handle-bar moustache and donning a military cap, to achieve a look like something out of Woody Allen's film Bananas.
I couldn't say I was a web entrepeuner, could I? or the founder of a social network....that makes no money? Not in that moustache anyway. So I said I was a drug addiction treatment co-ordinator. That always sets them off, anyway.

Anyway, The Times. That's a result.

No comments: