Saturday 13 June 2009

Richard's records, Ken's Records, Southern Records, Rock-Til-You-Drop-Records, and more.




When I grow up I want to be just like my cousin

I want to have my cousin's records
Richard's records, Richard's records


Just a little something I wrote when I was younger. At 10 or 11, I had already started enjoying new wave, and some punk music, that I was hearing on the radio. It was '78/'79. The likes of Blondie, Police, The Ruts, Sham 69, and so on. I had already bought the first edition of Smash Hits, which at that time featured many of these bands.

I must have expressed this interest to my cousin Richard, who had a fairly large collection of punk LPs and singles, because he proceeded to feed me a series of lovingly-made compilation tapes with typed inlays of punk, and Oi!. I think there were about 12 volumes in the end. Unfortunately, none of these cassettes have survived. Thankfully though, their legacy is still apparent in my musical tastes, and in my own record collection. These tapes in many ways formed the basis of my passion for listening to and making my own rock music.

Realising a few years later that these cassettes had not survived my teens, I began the process of re-acquiring all the music that had featured on Richard's compilations, on both vinyl and CD.

This early obsession with punk, another while still at school with The Doors, a late-teens discovery of Roxy Music, and a mid-20s affair with Fugazi, formed the the basis of my musical tastes to this day.

Enjoy the show. And please keep sending me your CDs.

1 comment:

AXEFM Radio Download Hour said...

Only half an hour old chap?