Saturday 20 June 2009

Second-to-last is the new last.


This is not good. I have spent so much time recently administrating my sites, that I simply have not had the mental energy to blog. Thankfully, Colin has been blogging away enthusiastically over the last few days.

So what's new? Well, my band has a gig in a couple of weeks (Saturday 4th July to be precise), which I'm looking forward to. It's in a boozer in Borough called The Libertine. Its run by a bunch of nice late-20s/early 30s types, who have tastefully 'trendified' it with the odd chesterfield sofa, DJs and a pizza oven - you know the type of place. It is free entry, too, so it will be interesting to see how this works out. And how the bands sound in there. The live music has to stop at 10:30 so this is perfect for all those bands that refuse to headline. There is no headline! The night ends with the penultimate band. Perfect!

I'm hoping it will become a regular venue on the RTYD circuit that I map out in my dreams at night. The Dublin Castle is nice to have but I need a bunch of smaller venues scattered round Greater London around which to circulate bands. To put on two local acts and one visiting band.

I'm starting to see a few genre-ised nights like Blues-Rock-Til-You-Drop and Punk-Rock-Til-You-Drop, too, which is exciting. Though a complementary mix of band-types is always enjoyable too.

Like Colin, I need to lay off this computer and pick up the guitar in the evenings again. He's right about the long gaps when the band is doing sod-all. It's always been hard for me to find something to fill these gaps too. For years, I'd be in my room most nights playing and writing but since the demand for new material waned, I have always found myself having to fill these 'voids' with projects. Rock-Til-You-Drop is one of those projects. It's just taking over more than most. As my wife will tell you.

No comments: