Monday 24 August 2009

No nutters, stalkers or political activists: Just three guitars, a hammond organ, bass, drums and two backing singers, preferably black.


So it seems that I witnessed the final Magic Ship gig on Saturday night. At least Magic Ship fronted by one Faces-obsessed, Hawaiian shirted, Colin Gillman.

Colin has left Magic Ship, and he is keen to branch out creatively. To move away from the trappings of Magic Ship's brand of classic rock and explore melody and instrumentation beyond guitar, bass and drums.

So I thought, well he actually thought - 'cos he's the PR consultant - that it might make an interesting 'case study'-type thing to follow his progress on my blog. I think he's right, so I'm gonna give it a shot. From one man and a musical vision to a three guitar line-up with Hammond organ, drums, bass, and backing singers - preferably black. The ads, the auditions, the doubt and the dilemmas, the joy and the jealousy (not sure about that last one -Ed) - I'm gonna attempt to cover it all.

Colin has already posted an ad to the RTYD Musicians' Ads pages, and I believe to PartySounds.co.uk. He has been to JoinMyBand.co.uk but found nothing but a bunch of youngsters.

Now, he actually already has drummer and RTYD member Roy Phillips on board, which is great. Roy's a fantastic drummer, and a bit of an all-rounder by all accounts, so he and Colin are planning to work up a few songs with two acoustics over the next few weeks and play at one of my acoustic gigs at The Libertine in the near future. Just to keep the juices flowing, like.

And why not.

So watch this space.

The latest is, he's been down the Offy to get some beers in. Unfortunately, they are all out of his beloved London Pride. He is dumbfounded. He is incredulous. He is.... living in a lager-obsessed drinking culture. Poor bastard - I hate that too.

3 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Wow... that's a shock! I hope Col's happy with his decision long-term. Go for it, turning his dreams into reality. go for it, Col.

Istvanski said...

Three guitarists?!?
Is Colin starting up an Eagles' tribute band?

Ken Skinner said...

I'm seeing Drive By Truckers meets Stax