Thursday 15 October 2009

Me and Mark McKendrick reminiscing (A review of ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP at The Fiddler's Elbow, Chalk Farm)


It's 2015, and I'm backstage at the Forum in Kentish Town chatting with Mark McKendrick of The Dipsticks. His band is minutes away from playing a set at ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP/LIVE-in-LONDON.

Me: Hey Mark, you remember the time I had you on at the Fiddler's down the road? What was it? A Wednesday night, or somethin'? 2009 or '10?

Mark:
It was, it was a Wednesday, man. 2009. That's right. I remember we headlined.

Me:
That's right. That was the first time you headlined a ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP night. You'd played one of the early Dublin Castle gigs and gone on first and the place was packed from the off. Great night that was. Remember the Grapefruit played that night too?

Mark:
And Spirit of Play, man.

Me:
That's it. But the Fiddler's man, remember how empty it was?

Mark: Not as bad as Guildford, man!

Me: Fuck, no. I mean, it wasn't a total disaster, or anything. It was just alright. You were great. All the bands were great. It's just there was only about 30 people there. And I'd worked my arse off to promote it, it was all over the internet, and on Facebook and stuff. Fucking Facebook. Remember how much time we used to waste on fucking Facebook, man?

Mark:
Yeah, I do, man.

Me:
I remember I had to run home and get a CD player to play those CDs of
ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP bands, cos the PA guy didn't have one. And I put a Pocket Rocket CD on, cos we'd just recorded it, and I wanted to show it off. I remember that. And I remember how the cymbal stands were held together with parcel tape!

Brian Caulfield, alias The Lone Groover enters the room. He's sweating profusely through his customary shirt and waistcoat, and clearly buzzed, having just come off stage.

Me: Hey man! D'you enjoy that? Sounds like they want more?

Brian:
I really enjoyed it Tobe, thanks, man,

Me: I saw the first part of your set out front, but I had to get back here and sort some stuff out. Sounded fantastic though

Brian: It's like a dream come true playing to an audience like that. They were all singing along to me last song, man. Me wife and the twins are out there too. Shall, I go back out?

Me:
Why not, man?

Brian:
Is there time?

Me:
For you Brian? Just quickly though, I was just saying to Mark, you remember that gig at the Fiddler's, way back? You came down on your own, as always...

Brian nods enthusiastically, but the words don't come out, he's too excited. Naturally, his mind's on getting back out there to play an encore. He looks repeated from my face to the door and back again.

I persevere.

Me: The twins we're even born yet, if I remember. You came to all those shows, man. Even before you were playing 'em.

Brian:
(hurriedly) Yeah. Well, it's been worth it mate. Look at today.

Mark:
Yeah, man. Look at today.... Where's Angie, man, anyway, she should be here by now.

Brian: Anyway, I better get out there.

Me: Sure man, go for it.

Brain grabs his towel and legs it out of the room.

Me:
C'mon Mark. You can't be fretting about Angie, you know she'll turn up in the nick of time. Always does. Shall we go and watch this encore from the side of the stage?

Mark and I get up and make our way down the narrow corridors that lead to the side of the stage. We pass Barry from Strange Behaviour on the way.


Me: Well played, Barry. Happy?

Barry: Thanks Toby, yeah. Great. Loved it.

Me: And the boys?

Barry: Yeah, apart from Gerry. He didn't think he played as well as he could've.

Mark: Didn't notice, man.

Barry opens the door to the loos.

Me and Mark (virtually in unison): See you in a bit, man.

Me: Didn't Strange Behaviour play that night too? At the Fiddlers.

Mark: Yeah, man. They did, you're right.

Me: I think that was the beginning of me booking you and them to play together. So well matched you too, your bands, I mean.

At stage-side, the other Barry, Barry Charman of Free State Prophets and The Gowletts is bouncing up and down to the Lone Groover's encore of Eton Rifles. I tap him on the shoulder.

Me: Alright, Barry. How was it for you?

Barry C: Yeah, wicked, Tobe. Wicked. Gotta play with the Prophets next time, man. You should hear our new CD. And our new drummer. Fucking wicked, mate. Really on it, you know?

Me: Great stuff.

Barry turns and continues to pogo to Brian's rendition of the Jam classic and I return to my conversation with Mark.

Me: Do you remember there was that guy playing lead guitar with first band, and he'd played in Buddy Miles' band for a while? Amazing player.

Mark: No, man, I don't .

Me: No? I remember cashing up that night, and not really having any money left over to pay you guys.

Mark:
I think you gave a tenner or somit, man?

Me: Shit. I made no money from those gigs in those days, man. I do remember wondering whether to carry on with it around then.

Mark:
Fucking glad you did, man.

Me: Me too, man.

5 comments:

Furtheron said...

cos you give us hope...

Unknown said...

...we join our protagonists mid conversation some hours later when the applause has died down snd the crowds have gone home.....
Toby:"...yeah! there were many times when I thought I should just jack it in, but didn't".....Brian:"And I'm so gratefulyou didn,t Tobe, those little gigs were like Madison Square gardens for most of us...they were IMPORTANT".....Toby:"...maybe you're right"......Brian: "I am Toby, I am....and as my mum used to say.....we were poor but we were happy"

Richey Estcourt said...

I really would love to have been there, but I honestly can't come to see band start their set at 1030 in the eve.... As it is, I missed me last train home from that last gig at the castle, which cost me a bullseye in taxi fares. Worth every penny, mind.

Looking forward to 29 November. I'll be there with me camera.

Unknown said...

Hi Richey1977, you better just check that date, the 29th November? No RTYD gigs on that day.

Cheers, Toby

Barry said...

Toby,
I'd like to thank you for putting us (Strange Behaviour) on the bill that night. We really enjoyed the evening. All the bands were diverse and entertaining. The cameraderie between the bands was great. We were really appreciative of the reception from, in particular, The Gowletts entourage. Yes, there were not many people there, which was a shame. I think it is much harder for mature bands to generate a fan base. I know when I was in a band at 17 I could have got many people to come along because my circle of friends was that much bigger. Now too many years later, I have a much tighter circle of friends. So tight they wouldn't pay £5 to get in (I jest).
I really hope RTYD keeps going from strength to strength and I hope Strange Behaviour can play our part in that.
Barry