Friday 15 January 2010

A Rock-Til-You-Drop moment


It's never nice to have a band cancel on you ten days before a gig. But when this happened to me on Wednesday, I did the sensible thing, crossed my fingers, and sent an email out to my 'London Bands' emailing list.

And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and heartened by the eager response by a good number of bands happy fill the slot. Five! I think that's pretty good. It was, what has come to be known as, a ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-MOMENT: a situation that arises, even in the world of (usually) reliable mature musicians, which calls for the network to do its job, and to fulfill its purpose. Which it did.

To be fair to the band that cancelled, I should mention that their lead singer/guitarist was more than happy to make a solo appearance. That also says something about the spirit of many of the members of RTYD. But in the end, it wasn't necessary.

Thanks then, to The Beast, The Moths, Bang To Rights, The Gowletts, and finally The Outbursts who pipped the others to the post and will be performing once again for RTYD on Saturday 23rd January at the Libertine in Borough. KO 8pm. Free entry.

Now I'm looking forward to it again.

1 comment:

Matt the Bass said...

Just thought i'd bung up a comment to say that we had a f*cking great time on Saturday. The Libertine is a really nice pub to play!! The crowd was a nice mix of locals and our rent-a-mob most of whom had been to Southampton that afternoon to see Ipswich lose (which goes some way to explaining their inebriated state on arrival). Toby, as ever, was coolness personified, Midnight Purple were nice lads and I found myself driving home after with a big grin on my face, that was until I had to lug that bloody Trace Elliot rig up to my second floor flat. Until next time old fruits!!