Wednesday 7 April 2010

Drummerless



I have posted a couple of ads on a couple of sites: Party Sounds, ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-ADS, and Gumtree. Alright, so that's a Berkshire couple of sites, i.e. three.

And I've had a Berkshire couple of bites, too. One from a drummer in his 20s, who seems very keen. Too keen? My reservation, though is less his overt keenness, and more his long-term commitment; though he assures me he could commit to at least 3 years, if not more. Is that good? Maybe, it is these days.

Another sent a very brief email admitting he wasn't the world's most complex player but he could keep good time and play a funky groove. No links. No videos.

And finally, there was a response from a drummer who is in a band already that has a proper website and are releasing music and playing regularly, or were. They look like they're in the their 30s - so not long before you see them on ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP! Anyway, this guy says due to the more recent inactivity of his current band, he is ready to try out with others. Like the student, who sent links to You Tube videos of himself in his room playing along to Killing in the Name, I was also able to see this guy play, in this case, at The Bull & Gate with the afore mentioned band.

The latter seems to be edging it, though his responses to my emails, albeit convincing, are a little slow, and the last non-existent.

I am dreading the audition situation. I hope instead that an email from the right guy, or girl, will arrive like an epiphany.

In the meantime, I have been spending evenings away from the computer and with my notebook on my lap in front of the tele, or with my drum machine, headphones and guitar on the floor in front of the tele, writing new songs for a new set. Which has been nice. The fact I have been labouring lyrically over one particular song, has been a useful process, because it has pushed me to write and write and write in order to find the seed of what it is I'm actually trying to say. I'm still not sure? In between this, other ideas pop up as if the songwriting muscles are warming up again.

Like Johnny Mercer said in a TV clip during a recent documentary about the great American songwriter - there is no point in writing songs to be shut away in drawers.

2 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Aren't auditions awful things to go thru?

BOTH as the player AND the listener?!

Hope something works out for you guys, tho.

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Liam Barnes said...

We toyed with the idea of having a few guest drummers until we found one that suited the band. Luckily Nick (our current drummer) was an old friend of the bass player, so it worked out well.

Next time I see you I'll tell you our true story of the worst (and loudest) drummer known to man, and why it was so hard to get rid of him!!