Thursday 27 May 2010

The Outbursts & Trad Arr. at Peter Parker's


On Saturday I went to support The Outbursts at Peter Parker's Rock n Roll Club in Denmark Street. Tox of 14 Carat Grapefruit did the same. I also wanted to catch the support band Trad Arr., another band of mature musicians, and to meet them.

I lost count of the amount of musicians in Trad Arr. Among others, they have a sax player, a harmonica player and violinist. They are led by Andy Golding, who used to play in mid-80s indie band The Wolfhounds, one I completely overlooked while I immersed myself in the heavy rock of the period, simultaneously working my way though both Led Zeppelin's and Alice Cooper's back catalogue.


Anyway, after their energetic set, which was punctuated by entertaining on-stage banter and sounded at times like the Velvet Underground playing The Pogues, and at others, vice-versa, Matt Russell introduced me to their singer and guitarist Andy Golding. Another nice bloke, with another great story, this one of playing with the likes of Primal Scream, and touring in the mid-80s. Andy also fronts an acoustic version of the band, which I am hoping to book at The Libertine in July.

The Outbursts took to the stage in full punk regalia. Neale Muldowney, in kilt and dog-collar, was in punk rock heaven given the opportunity to play through a 4 x 12 Marshall stack; and loud as he was, was so 'on it', it was a joy to watch him play, and control the feedback as it leaked through the fuzz.

The band introduced their new song, the necrophiliac anthem, Dig 'Em Up & Fuck 'Em, which sounded suitably obscene, and romped through all their classic tunes, including their other new original You're Dead, an anti-tribute to Neale's predecessor. Let that be a warning to you Neale!

As Tox pointed out, The Outbursts go from strength to strength. I said it myself the last time I saw them. I do hope that soon their music will be available to download from the ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-RECORD-SHOP. So watch this space.

The good thing about Saturday night gigs at Peter Parker's is that he only puts on two bands. This is because live music has to be over by 10:00 when the (night) club opens. Like the Libertine, this is perfect gig for mature musicians and music fans used to an early night.

And, as we all know, as well as careers and families, these days we all need our sleep.

Remind me to email PP, and suggest I sub-promote a Saturday a month there. 

Night night.

2 comments:

Seamus Anthony said...

Man! Velvet Underground meets Pouges - that sounds like my cup of tea! So true that late night gigs suck once you get past 30ish. Who wants to hang round till 10 for the action to even start? Not your potential audience...

Anonymous said...

Count me in. I might just stay on and enjoy the night club too. I'm getting to be a regular their when I'm in town. It's a great venue Isn't it. Like stepping back in time to when music was exciting.