Friday 14 May 2010

Pavement for the ninth time


Went to Brixton to see Pavement last night. For those that don't know the band, they are a slacker-style indie rock band that formed in Stockton, California at the end of the 80s. Brilliant. Funny. Very dynamic. Quirky. Heavy. Gentle. Beautiful. Stupid. I remember hearing songs from their first LP Slanted and Enchanted on XFM, when it started trial-broadcasting in 1992. I had long hair and went to loads of gigs back then by less-well known US indie and hardcore bands. Pavement 'disbanded' in 1999, only to re-band this year.

When I got home last night I counted up nine old Pavement gig-tickets including a couple of festival shows. Before last night, I had last seen them play in 1999 at The Scala. This might explain why I was sort of underwhelmed by the gig last night. To be honest, I wasn't that bothered about going but the wife was keen.  And, perhaps because it was her first time, she absolutely loved it. Or perhaps, it was simply because she's not a grumpy old git like me.

The Pavement songs I had (nearly) forgotten sent the shivers, the rest seemed largely a slacker lesson in how to play your songs like you really don't care, and in the process murder the nuances.

Rattled by the Rush, Debris Slide and We Dance were the highlights for me, the forgotten gems.

Here's a link to The Independent's Spotify playlist containing most of the songs from their Brixton live set: http://open.spotify.com/user/theindependent/playlist/0CxYWe4YK99AMEWxHcamP5

And here's a link to my own Spotify playlist of my favourite Pavement songs, minus We Dance and a couple of others that Spotify won't let me stream: PAVEMENT-TIL-I-DROP.COM

I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows
I must stop going to reunion shows

No comments: