Tuesday 8 June 2010

Losing The Libertine

I was having a shit day yesterday, and in the middle of it came a call from the manager of The Libertine. The Saturday nights, he said, weren't really working for the pub.

The problem was plain to see at Saturday night's ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP gig. The pub, which is run by 20/30-somethings, is often patronised by those of a similar age. Not, however, live music fans, more live football fans. And on Saturday night they were in the majority. Unfortunately, too often, they are in the majority. If, the manager said, the live music bought in the majority of punters, then it would be fine, but as we all know, and like Saturday night, the music fans were in the minority.

Despite this, I enjoyed Saturday night, especially once we worked out how to factor in an electronic drum kit. It was great to have The Dipsticks on again, to meet their new drummer Alan, and see their former drummer Angie come out to support them. It was nice to meet Runfever, and initiate them into 'the club'. The Dipsticks bought some friends, but Runfever struggled to bring people after shooting their load (as it were) at a recent gig in Stockwell. The lovely Ray Hyde from Kryptic Klu turned out to to support live music locally. But that was it. We drove most of the 20/30-somethings outside with our noise. Hardly the ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP club atmosphere that idealistically I always hoped to achieve; Nights that bring mature musicians and music fans together to support live music, and to be social and network.

It's a real shame because The Libertine is a great pub rock venue. Those that play it always enjoy it, and those that attend it do, too. The sound is good, the staff are friendly.

The acoustic afternoons, they feel, work well, but to be honest I don't want to be left holding the acoustic guitars. I am not that interested in promoting these alone. They were always meant to be supplementary to the electric nights, so I will probably stop them, at least regularly.

I have a Saturday night booking to honour, but to be honest I fear for this. I fear it clashes with a 7:30pm quarter final World Cup game, which promises to be a battle of the European titans, Spain and Italy.

I need to have a think. And to look for a new more central venue. In my sights is the pre-club shift on a Saturday night at Peter Parker's Rock 'n' Roll Club, 7:30 - 10:00pm. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

The Lone Groover said...

...shame about the electric nights Toby....but I do hope you feel you can continue with the occasional acoustic afternoon as they're a good crack methinks...anyway, I'm sure you'll get another electric venue soon - good luck mate!

Paul Rodger said...

Plenty more fish in the sea Toby; don't be too disheartened.

Matt said...

We certainly enjoyed playing there earlier in the year, it's a shame they've put a stop to it.

Now might be the time to talk to that skinny young boy in Denmark St?

Go get 'em Floyd!!

Unknown said...

Thanks boys. I appreciate the messages of support, and you following my trials and tribulations!

Tobyx

Furtheron said...

A shame.

I hope you do continue with the acoustic ones. See you there Sunday :-)

Liam Barnes said...

I'm gutted about the Libertine, it was a nice place to see bands (not just because I live round the corner). I loved playing there and was hoping to do another gig in the future.

Having said that the Libertine (formally the townhouse) has always struggled with what to do on a Saturday..