Friday 23 July 2010

Last night's Outbursts/Stabilisers gig in Camden


Here is a Berkshire couple of photos from The Outbursts and Stabilisers gig, promoted by Sweet But Deadly, at Under Solo in Camden, last night.

It was fun to catch up with all the guys in both bands, and Matt Russell introduced me to Steve White of Steve White and The Protest Family, and his guitar/mandolin player Funky 'Lol' Ross. Both nice blokes. Check out SWATPF here: http://www.myspace.com/realstevewhite

(Brian, if you're reading, we should get you and Steve together for a gig, at some point. He's from out Walthamstow way)


The Outbursts were in fine comedic form, which they say indicates that they weren't exactly on musical form. It (hardly) noticed, and didn't matter anyway. It wouldn't be punk rock if it did, now, would it?

The Stabilisers were as entertaining as ever, and I think for the first time, I train-spotted a Dead Kennedys influence in a couple of the bass lines. They are comical rather than polemical, (The Outbursts manage to be both!) so I always tend to fixate on The Dickies-thing. One thing's for sure, if The Stabilisers realised 7"singles they'd be on coloured vinyl.

6 comments:

The Lone Groover said...

Hi Toby,

Shame,...I nearly made it up to Camden last night but was waylaid at last minute...sounds like a good night....looking forward to playing with The Outbursts in Sept...doing a gig with Steve White sounds a great idea, I've just checked his myspace and there are definite similarities ...maybe a RTYD night with a folk type theme (anti or otherwise)...we can discuss further on Aug 4th at the Miller..

The Lone Groover said...

P.S. Still love a bit of coloured vinyl....'specially on 7's!

Unknown said...

Hi Brian, good idea, let's have a chat on 4th Aug. Thanks for checking in. Tx

Robert Swipe said...

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that world-renowned train driver and podcasting legend Steve "Istvanski" Istvanski I spy on keyboard duties there with the Stabilisers Tobes?

My goodness, I thought it was all terrible rumour.

;)

Oh well, no wonder he turned down my offer to play lead guitar on the Serious MoonPigs tour. (Well, that and the fact that the songs are crap. And I can't sing. And he he refused to wear the hold-ups...

L.U.V. the site - keep up the good werk...

xxx
Bob

Unknown said...

Hi Bob, It is the one and only Istvanski, but on lead guitar on the right of the picture.

Thanks for the kind words, too.

Toby

Robert Swipe said...

Yes, of course - now you say it, I'd recognise that infinitely hammering-on finger shape anywhere!

:)

Thanks for following the blog etc. and good luck with all your endeavours


xxx
Bob