Wednesday 22 September 2010

Meet Helen Martin


Met with Helen Martin of Helen Martin Productions today. Helen's a promoter from down Brentford way. Adam Donovan of the Jetsonics, passed on her details to me.

Chose a lovely day for it, too, we did. I even took my DMs and socks off half way through the day, and put the old sandals back on, which was liberating.

We sat on the South Bank outside the National Theatre, shared our stories, and compared notes on promoting on the local live music scene. Helen gave up a proper job in probation not so long ago to focus on promoting.  (Is she mad? - Ed). She is well connected. And has a more business-like approach to promoting than me, which isn't hard, I know.

She recently organised a charity gig with local musician Nick Lowe (Who? - Ed), on the bill. Her husband plays in a number of bands, including the Bitter Springs, and had some success back in the day as a professional musician. This seems to be a key motivator in her new enterprise.

She has some connection with a few old punk bands, which I hope will result in a co-presented gig at some point. So watch this space.

3 comments:

Furtheron said...

The NICK LOWE!!!! Remember Rockpile and all that with Dave Edmonds, Terry Williams (Dire Straits) and Billy Bremner - no not the one that played for Leeds Utd :-0

The Lone Groover said...

He was in "Brinsley shwarz" (Groovy pub rock band) before then and he also produced some of the punk bands (he weas in house producer for stiff records) back in the day including "Damned, Damned, Damned". I love Nick Lowe, great musician, songwriter and singer - his recent stuff is really classy adult themed music (with a country bent - he was once married to a daughter of Johnny Cash). He's living proof that sometimes you can get better as you get older - check out "Jesus of Cool" (1st album) "Dig my mood" and "The convincer"(more recent stuff. a top bloke 'n all by all accounts.
Of course Toby - you could have been joking when you said WHO?

Unknown said...

I was joking. I remember Cruel to be Kind best. I've lost touch with him, so thanks Brian, and Graham for keeping me informed. T.