Wednesday 27 October 2010

The 2010 ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-AWARDS


I had big plans for the ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-AWARDS this year. I remember planning to get sponsorship, and have more awards. Well, it didn't happen. I sent some emails, got one back from Hiwatt, who seemed a bit interested; Marshall sent me a nice email back, saying thanks but no thanks; and the rest ignored me.

Still, I'm not one to be put off by such things; if I was, I'd have given up making music around 1987 when the demo cassettes started coming back in the post along with xeroxed record company letters 'passing' on them. The show will go on, and the awards will be lovingly handcrafted and the engraved brass plaques will be funded by the 'firm', just as they were last year. The ERNIE BALL-ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-AWARDS sounds shit anyway. (The ROTOSOUND-ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP-AWARDS sounds okay, though -Ed). (Fuck off - Author).


Last year's deserving winners of a 'Coffin' (so-called because that is indeed the shape of the award) were Creak for Best Band, 14 Carat Grapefruit for Best CD (Long Time Coming), Punks Not Dad for Best Song (In Me Shed), The Joint, Kings Cross, for Best Rehearsal Studio and the Dublin Castle, Camden, for the Best Venue.

 

I haven't decided how and when to present the Coffins this year, but I'm a few weeks ahead of where I was last year, so I'm not panicking. Quite yet. Gotta source some wood first, preferably oak...um, floorboards, like last year. No, they looked good, ask any of the winners, who incidentally are currently residing in the where are they now? file, where all award winners end their careers.

Of course that's not true. I know, cos they're all playing in December. See the RTYD Calendar for more details.

Voting link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NJR8C56

No comments: