Monday 4 October 2010

RTYD at 4 Denmark St: A great indoors experience (not so great, outdoors)


Two years ago I started ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP online. One and a half years ago I put on my first gig, at the Dublin Castle in Camden. Three months later I put on my second gig - back then one gig every three months seemed about the right frequency. On the bill that night along with Spirit of Play and 14 Carat Grapefruit, were the Dipsticks and The Great Outdoor Experience. Last night at one of ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP's new haunts at 4 Denmark St., these two bands met again.

Was it only a year and a quarter ago that I first met these guys? It feels like I've known them much longer. And the way it's going I will know them for many more years to come. That has been the success of the gigs over the last eighteen months. The attendances may not have always been that impressive, but the network of bands that RTYD has inspired in London is what makes me happiest.

I'm going to cut back on the gigs I put in on in the New Year. I'm not going to put on regular gigs at the Dublin or Hope or the Fiddlers. And I think I have to knock the Libertine acoustic gigs. I know I have threatened to do it before. But I want to cut back to (mostly) one gig a month, and like last night's gig, at 4 Denmark St.

Denmark St. is a great location. Apart from transport-wise, it is also a good location because everyone knows where it is, and what it stands for. The venue is a good size - 100+ capacity. It is a simple PA set up. I like Isabelle who is the new manager. Long may it last.

Anyway, last night the Dipsticks sounded fantastic there. Despite the heavy rain outside, the band's loyal  fans came out in support and along with a contingent of passing trade, began the night's whooping and dancing. Patrick Begley's lead guitar playing sounded more confident than ever, and his whammy bar work evoked the spirit of the big-H, Himself.


I never get tired of hearing and watching them. And despite being motionless, save his spider-fingers and gum-masticating jaw, the Entwhistle-like figure of Mark McKendrick is as always enthralling. So on it. So in it.

The Dipsticks are for life, not just for Christmas, when they play again at their home venue The Constitution in Camden (11th December).

The Great Outdoor Experience, led by Phil Ram, never disappoint either. They have to be one of the best three-pieces around. Phil is the consummate frontman, one who is not hindered by being tied to a microphone stand by his guitar playing. They unveil a handful of new songs tonight and fill the club with beautiful pop-rock polystyrene chips. God bless them and the outdoors they care so deeply about.

For me the post-gig outdoors experience was not a great one. I cycled home in torrential rain with a sore throat and a throbbing headache, and then I wake the next morning to find my voice box will not open.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Hi T

Cutting back on the gigs makes sense. The recent Hope & Anchor gig we did was great but nobody turned up!! (Except a few darlings, you know who you are) No matter how good the bands are and how good the venue is if people don't want to come out to see them there ain't no point playing. The bar staff aren't even listening, they're usually sitting quietly reading a book with earplugs in.
4 Denmark St is a nice little place, it doesn't need too many people to make it feel busy but it can hold a decent crowd should one want to come out and see some live music (not at one of our gigs, obviously)
Good luck for the 'terrible two's' and we'll happily make a racket for you in the new year ;o)

Unknown said...

Hi Matt, thanks. I really enjoyed the Hope. All who were present did too. It's those that weren't there, that is the issue, as you point out. I still want to do the PUNK nights, and will, but those four band nights are too much, aren't they, for all involved, including the audience who drift off after two bands.

The Hope wasn't the catalyst for the decision, but it was symptomatic of the problem: Great bands on the bill, not enough support.

See you soon, T

The Lone Groover said...

I agree guys, the gigs aren't always that well supported (although I've always had a good time at the one's i've attended). You can't force people to come out. That said, 4 Denmark st is ideal and I'll definitely be showing my face from time to time. As I've said before, treat it like a RTYD "club night", where we can catch a band, have a drink and meet others on the scene as it were.
Keep the faith!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bri. And good luck with the gig Wednesday!