Tuesday 16 November 2010

And then there were three (but not for long): The re-launch of Pocket Rocket

 

My band Pocket Rocket is playing on Saturday night at 4, Denmark St, in the West End. Soon to be re-branded The Alley Cat, it is a basement venue that occupies the same space that many great rock bands and icons have recorded some very famous music: The Stones, the Beatles, the Sex Pistols and Black Sabbath, to name a few. Mark McKendrick of the Dipsticks and I think they should cash in on all that history, so that's my attempt, as a player-promoter, to do so.

Saturday night's a ROCK-TIL-YOU-DROP night and the headline band is Spirit of Play, who I have been a fan of since I first saw them, and whose singer Michael Caines has been an enthusiastic contributing member of the RTYD network since its early days. If you like Belle & Sebastian, you will like them.

Pocket Rocket, which is temporarily at least, a three piece, is just about match fit. In the absence of a lead guitarist, I have taken over lead guitar duties. I have risen to the task, but after over fifteen years of not having to add these duties to my lead-singing and rhythm playing, it has been challenging. I've enjoyed practicing my guitar at home. Re-familiarising myself with a few scales, and generally trying to get better at my instrument.

But last night at our final rehearsal before Saturday, for the first time I felt overwhelmed by all I had to think about. I was singing on auto-pilot, which I hate doing. Basically, because I was too busy worrying about my guitar tuning, my amp and pedal board settings.

Now that Nigel, our new drummer, has his parts down and is familiar with the songs, the next step is to tighten things up and perform the songs. But I couldn't last night, 'cos my attention was so divided. I have enjoyed turning up the distortion, but in doing so, some of the funkier guitar playing has been compromised. I miss the dynamics that two guitars can create, one cleaner than the other; one strumming, one picking; one funky, one playing power chords. I don't miss not hearing myself so well. And a lead guitarist who can't get his levels right. I do however miss the man and his playing, when it was great, which it could be.

We also need another backing singer. A couple of birds (or mums, even), would be nice. Mike, my lifelong friend and bass player, sings, but he's not a natural. He comes up with some good  BV ideas, but his tuning can be a bit suspect, so we need a third singer with a strong voice.

In 2011, I intend to spend more time focusing on Pocket Rocket, without deluding myself about what we can achieve. I'd like to record another EP, and add members to the band, while continuing to gig more regularly. I won't be putting on as many RTYD gigs in 2011, but I hope to be booking Pocket Rocket with other RTYD-associated bands at London venues.

No comments: