Tuesday 11 January 2011

Close, but no Grapefruit

Otto from 14 Carat Grapefruit wanted to organise a gig for his band at the Dublin Castle in early May, so he sends me an email to see if RTYD wants to sub-promote it. I say "yeah, but no, but..." 'cos I'm tempted, but then I remember that I'm supposed to be trying not to do more than one gig a month this year. It is hard, but I'll get over it. Anyway, in the end, I suggest he contacts Bugbear Promotions (the pub's promoters) directly. I ask him if he'll try and get Pocket Rocket on the bill, and this he kindly agrees to do.

He is successful, I think it's in the bag, I've checked with the band, and I'm ready to pen it onto the calendar, when I realise I can't do it. I'm gonna be coming back from the US a few days before it, I'll be jet-lagged out of my mind, and unrehearsed. There is a recipe for a gig disaster.

In a disappointed yet enthusiastic state, I have since contacted Bugbear, and have pencilled in a new date (30th March - unfortunately without the Grapefruits who will play The Dublin as planned on 4th May) and if it is cushty with the rest of my band, I will endeavour to find another RTYD-associated band to play on the bill.

No comments: