Wednesday 5 January 2011

Memories inspired by the death of Mick Karn.




Mick Karn (24 July 1958 – 4 January 2011) and Japan (disbanded 1982) provided the soundtrack too much of my late-teens. I remember sitting in my girlfriend's bedroom in Milford, Surrey listening to I Second That Emotion and snogging. I also remember there was a guy who lived round the the corner from me back then, who was a Numanoid, as well as being a Japan fan. I remember him telling me how impressed he was, when he went and saw Japan live, by how fast Mick Karn could switch basses. A Numanoid-style demonstration of his technique was also provided.

I'm sure I've blogged about how I like the first Japan LP, Adolescent Sex, the best, and I still do. I love the early synths, and the rock guitar, much like you hear on early Simple Minds LPs. Quiet Life and Gentlemen Take Polaroids are great, too, and Assemblage was my gateway Japan experience; I remember borrowing the cassette from the local library and copying it.

I recently had the pleasure of seeing Richard Barbieri performing a solo set at The Bush Hall, which was pretty cool, but I never got to see Japan live, I'm sad to say. Though, I'm not sure there would have been much to watch after about '81.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now, every day when I go to work in Milford I will think of Mick (..erm and you and your girlfriend, Toby !). But seriously, another talent lost ...
Trisha

Unknown said...

She lived just by the roundabout there, on the way to Rodborough. I remember my Dad thought she was cute, too! Tx