Saturday 5 March 2011

Brick by Brick by Arctic Monkeys: Video and Review



This video for the new Arctic Monkeys song was posted on Friday afternoon, without any advance notice. Is it a track off their new album? Or simply a taste of what to expect? On first impression, I wasn't as excited by it as I was by the first single from their previous LP, Crying Lightning, though the last LP, which suffered from too much tuneless riffola, was itself a little disappointing. My issue with Brick by Brick is that the Arctics are increasingly sounding like the Deserts. As they continue to sound more and more US-stoner-rock, they are in danger of losing all the Englishness, which gave their brand of rock much of its charm in the first place.

This is what too much time in the desert sun sounds like. Don't get me wrong, I like Monster Magnet, et al, but I don't need a British tribute to them, or their genre. Sadly, the only quirks that remain here are musical and unnecessary mid-song proggy noodles at that. Still, I reserve final judgement until I hear the new album in its entirety.

The band play at home in Sheffield in June and headline the V festival in August, which, surprise surprise, has already sold out.

No comments: