Saturday 21 March 2009

Guildford, This is Guildford

Okay. So this is where I'm at. The social network now has 150 members. It is 5 months old. So there's one member joining a day on average. In 10 years we could have 3500 members. Is that good? Well, it is if people are making connections like I have made with one Colin Gillman of Twickenham, singer/guitarist with Magic Ship, and mature musician blogger at Axevictim.com. This guy makes it all worth while. He has the energy and enthusiasm that we should all be showing if we want to make things happen. He is both supporter and constructive critic of Rock-Til-You-Drop, its aims and its ethos. He has got me thinking. And has inspired me.

After the Dublin Castle gig, I have to admit I started to wonder what the hell I was doing expecting something like it to work. As Colin points out we all have enough difficulty fitting in our own rehearsals and gigs, let alone those of other bands across town. As he points out, you can't park in Camden and in some reppects it's probably the hardest place to start.

So I'm gonna try Guildford. Me old stamping ground. Deluded again that I'm gonna return victorious and appear in the Surrey Advertiser 25 years after being featured for taking my band at the time to London to play Dingwalls.

How the fuck am I gonna pull this off? Do I book the bluesmen or do I hang out for 40-something bands with an edge? Do the bluesmen even need the support and promotion of Rock-Til-You-Drop, or are they doing very well thank you very much - most seem to have their shit together, are getting paid and have great websites. And alot of these bands want paying.

I managed to get my ad on Gumtree in search of bands in Guildford and the surrounding area. This was made problematic by my being banned from posting ads on their site. The only way I can get them through is to not mention rock-til-you-drop and to send them from another email address.

So let's see who goes for the bait. The Boileroom has not yet catered to the older age group which is why they see Rock-Til-You-Drop playing a part.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

Good luck for Guildford.

I followed Col of axevictim fame here...

Unknown said...

Hi there, thanks for reading. I had a read of your blog too, and added a link to your blog on mine. I'm fairly new to all this and not nearly as natural or as regular as you and Colin. My bowel movements are fine though. (?)