Friday 13 March 2009

Reasons to be absent, Part 3

So I got another night for Rock-Til-You-Drop at the the Dublin Castle. Scraped it, though. Not the monthly club that I was hoping for, but another night, all the same. Another chance. In June.

About 70 people came through the door there on Wednesday night and had a great night. For an opening night though, that had had press in The Metro, The Times and the Camden local press, this was a bit disappointing.

The second band didn't bring anyone, so that was a bit annoying. I didn't want to have to rely on the bands to bring people, but now I realise that I have to, to a large extent - in the early days at least. Naively, I thought the idea of a club where older musicians and music fans could feel at home, would be enough to get loads of people out that wouldn't normally come out.

I am a dreamer.

Those that came had fun though, and by the end, thanks to the wonderful I, Thalamus and their 30-something fans, the place was jumping. We had a fantastic MC in Mr Dove Jones, and an equally impressive DJ, in the shape and sound of DJ Dog-Headed Men, who kept them dancing, as well as appealing to the nostalgists among us. All the bands were professional in their approach to soundcheck and performance and were a pleasure to work with, too.

It's all very well having an on-line community though, but a physical one is harder to create.
The problem is the original one. The one about getting older and continuing to make music. Remember? The whole basis and inspiration for Rock-Til-You-Drop.

It gets harder, the older you get to continue to make music, and support others making music.

Here are some of the reasons:

You are tired. You want an early night.

You've had a hard day at the office, you're fucked.

It's too far to travel.

It's raining.

You're not in the mood.

You're not drinking this week.

You'd have to go on your own 'cos your mate's not coming out.

You've got a meeting or a presentation the next day.

You'd have to get the train home and you wouldn't be in 'til gone midnight and you gotta be up at 5:30 the next day.... you can't afford to look and feel like a pile of shit.

You've already been out once this week / you're going out later this week, so another night might not go down so well with the wife.

(please send more reasons)

To overcome these excuses/obstacles, perhaps we need a weekend daytime gig - a family-friendly event. (Leave it to me, I'm going to Oxford next week to try and organise just the thing)

I know that older music fans and musicians are harder to get out. This is why they don't have a scene of their own. That is why so many musicians give up.

No audience. No outlet. No point.

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm too old for all that now. Besides, I got a beergut. I ain't got any hair left....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup yup yup yup yup said Arnold in Happy Days. All true. Nobody gives a shit. But an all dayer? Now you are hitting the note. A festival even. In a nice little Oxfordshire county town linked to a summer county fair/country show. A place where my kids could finally get to see the old man up on stage. Now that, with all the right promotion, could work.

I feel for you regarding the Dublin Castle thing man. But you nailed it right in your post. All of those reasons are just so valid for the mature demographic. It's almost as if you need to re think the approach. Maybe set up a social networking site for mature music fans instead. Something that delivers more than what MySpace can deliver. Something happening on a regional basis. Town by town. Putting bands and fans together. Dunno. But it's got to be worth a try? Or am I missing the point? You have a great concept going and I can sense the drive and determination in you to make is work. Don't let it falter. Keep on keeping on man. Just get out of Camden!!!

The Lone Groover said...

What can I say!....I made it to Camden and had a bloody good night...by all means do an all dayer but seriously, if (us) older folk want an outlet for our musings and noodlings then a bit of "EFFORT" is needed....yes, I was knackered, yes, I had an early start the next day, yes, I'm trying not to drink too much blah blah blah! But I went 'cos I beleve!! and guess what, I felt a bit rough at work the next day but I survived......if we can't go to bed after midnight from time to time (if only to remember our collective rock 'n' roll past)then we may as well give up now. It sounds like Col would like a gig set up in his front room so that he can keep his slippers on....radical thought maybe, but what about doing all dayers "and" night time gigs, I mean we are adults (aka old farts) after all!Well done to Toby and the rest for trying to deliver on their promise...but they can't do it on their own.....a bit of support (which means time and effort)is needed..Keep the faith guys 'n' gals!.....and just for the record...I'm 45(rpm).