Thursday 26 March 2009

I ain't got the blues

Forgive me if I've just noticed this, but something has just struck me in my search for bands to fit the bill of a Rock-Til-You-Drop night in Guildford, and that is the proliferation of Blues bands that seem to have their shit together. They don't need no Rock-Til-You-Drop - they is already doin' it. What they have against them is the closing of many of pub-venues on their circuit. I hear from Ian Lloyd of Raw Deal that the Worthing circuit has greatly diminished, and a promoter told me recently that Brighton venues too are closing at a worrying rate.

So, too many bands, not enough venues.

But that aside for a moment, the Blues bands seem to have regular gigs and a circuit to play. They have their own festivals. They even tour abroad.

They have good websites, better than many of the younger bands who only have a dreadful myspace page. They have CDs or downloadable MP3s.

They often have a decent band photograph, too.

Now most of these guys are in their fifties, even sixties. So what have they got over the 40-50 year olds, who it strikes me, by and large are less well organised and presented?

Well, maybe thay have more time on their hands again, now that their kids have left home? More disposable income?

And, well, they got the blues.

Now, the blues is not my thing, as you may have gathered. I like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix and the Doors, and I appreciate a good Clapton-esque guitar solo when I hear one but I came in listening to punk rock and new wave. I like Roxy Music and Bowie. I like Fugazi and the Fall. I like Arctic Monkeys and Interpol. This is all white boy alt-rock - I'm sure you could argue that there is the blues in alot of the song structuring and sentiments and stuff, but the point is it's not the real blues.

I started playing guitar as a means to an end. To make songs of my words. I'm a songwriter first and foremost. I'm not interested in guitar solos and virtuosity. And that's coming from someone who likes a bit of Yes and Pink Floyd.

So I'm starting to realise where rock-til-you-drop has the most work to do. It needs to especially inspire and encourage non-blues, non-covers bands aged 40 (approx) and over to continue to make original music. As well as circuits for old bluesmen, which are largely organised for and by older musicians with a particular taste and musical history, we need live opportunites, showcases maybe, of those bands and performers who don't necessarilty play the blues.

But there's no gig without an audience, so rock-til-you-drop needs to raise the profile of mature musicians making original music so that people believe they are truly worthwhile coming out to see play.

I must be fucking mad.

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

Maybe this issue is that blues has a defined entity as a live music that transends the coming and going of recording formats etc. What I mean is people went to see blues bands in the 40s, 50s, 60s etc. it's just carried on. Newer genres of music don't have that continuity of the live performance.

However the loss of venues, people of the right age being encouraged to leave their comfy homes and come out for the night, esp in the current economic climate etc.

Maybe it is there just latent and needs to be reawoken by a new generation of post 40 something bands with something relevant to say musically.

Anonymous said...

Talkin' 'bout iGeneration baby...

Yes Toby - you probably are fookin' mad! But aren't we all?