Wednesday 1 April 2009

Panic Over

I decided to ring a couple of rehearsal rooms in Guildford in search of local bands for the gig. There are loads of covers bands but I got the names of a handful of older, original bands in the area. I checked out their myspace pages and emailed a couple of 'em. The first is called 'The Zone'. These guys are in the 40-50 age range, a 3-piece and they play music which it's hard to categorise but is essentially 'alternative' rock. They get back to me and are up for playing. The second band haven't responded yet.

Then I get this response to my Gumtree ad from a guy called John Idan, who sung and played bass in the Yardbirds from the early 90s until recently. He has own band, and he is interested in the site and keen to support it. I listen to his own stuff on myspace and, as you might expect it's heavy on the 60s and 70s influences. But hey, it's original and his being in the Yardbirds may well attract some of the older guys, that the first two bands would not.

I give him a bell and we talk for a while about the site, it's mission and ethos. He seems keen to play and to support the cause, even though I can't guarantee him a fee, which is very cool. It's possible that his band might be in Germany at the time so he has to get back to me when he knows more.

I am starting to feel Guildford coming together, which is a relief.

No comments: