Wednesday 1 April 2009

Are friends acoustic?

Mike, my bass player, has got me thinking. And given me a dilemma.

After seeing I, Thalamus headline the Rock-Til-You-Drop night at the Dublin Castle, he thinks we could lighten our sound and be a more accessible and successful and entertaining live band, if like Grant Gordon I played acoustic guitar instead of electric. He's right, it probably would lighten up our songs. It would take away that bite, that sharpness, that hardness, that edge that perhaps pins the audience to the back wall, rather than tempting them to move, jig about, or even, dare I say it, dance.

That said, we have had people dancing to us before. Okay, they were drunk..

But do I want to put down the electric? I love playing electric. I love how it feels. I love the power. The weight of it. The acoustic doesn't feel as cool. It looks okay. Goes with the hat, even.

Oh, he's probably right. But I hate him for it.

1 comment:

Ad said...

Do you want to be a beardy wierdy in Pentangle or get the chicks with motorhead?

Seriously. I think when you play specifically to please an audience rather than to please yourself you're on to a loser.

I think if you are enjoying yourself it's infectious.