Sunday 5 April 2009

Grey: going, going... gone?

I'm not sure how you measure vanity? So, I can't say how vain I am. I try to look my best. I try to look 'rock 'n' roll' much of the time, though I'm less tolerant of the cold these days and have taken to wearing a fairly un-rock 'n' roll puffer jacket through most of the winter months, which lets the look down a bit.

Anyway, I'm not ugly but I wouldn't consider myself 'good-looking'. In the past with different haircuts, among others, I have been compared to Pete Murphy (at 17/18), Neil Young circa 1971 (at 23/24), and, a number of times, one of the Gibbs brothers, I don't remember which - does it matter anyway?. I'm kind of goofy and big-eared. I blush, and my hair is receeding enough for it to look much better the shorter it is. I miss the hair now so much, I'm phasing hats into the look.

My hair was straight, fine, black and shiny as a kid. But at 27/28 with the hair still as long as Neil Young circa 71, I started to discover the first grey hairs. Around this time, petrified of premature ageing, I began dying it regularly. I was lucky that it was still very dark brown/black so it went unnoticed for many years. As the years went on and the hair line receeded so the hair got shorter and shorter. As a result, dying it became more and more frequent, until more recently it's been every 4 weeks or so. This is a pain. But I've got a thing about going grey. I don't mind white/silver, I just don't want gray.

So, I've decided to stop dying it and to see how it looks like under there. This isn't the first attempt but like my 31 days of abstinence from alcohol earler this year, I am able to rise to a challenge. While I make the transformation, the hats are useful, anyway.

I can see that underneath the residue of darkened hair, I am now substantially grey/white. I hope this means I have leap-frogged the grey phase.

If not, I'm dying it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Fred Vim BTW.

Baldness? It's odd, but I dont' have that problem yet. I'm just gray - all over, but I don't care becasue it's a thick gray thatch. I'd have ego/mascalinity problems if my hair was to go, but what can you do when it decides to heave off? Nothing. That's what! I'd never dye my hair. Far too poofy and poncy for my tastes. If it starts to roll back up and over my forehead then I would just shave it all off. I look stupid in hats whereas you seem to look like you were born wearing that trilby. But it has to come off sometime. And you do need to feel good in your own skin.

I gave up drinking for the whole of January and a bit of February this year. I was afraid that I was becoming a tad drunky. It must be our age...

Furtheron said...

When I was younger and had hair - well at least a full head of it I was compared to Justin Hayward... never sure if that was a compliment or not frankly.

Never dyed my hair, the grey in the beard increases daily but I live with it.

Just trying to work it out but it's something like 4 years 10 months 21 days since I last had a drink... still I did make somethign of a career out of that one... :-)