Tuesday 7 April 2009

Too drunk to blog

I've had too many beers. By my standards, anyway. I shouldn't be writing.

I've just done a drawing. An automatic A4 drawing.

I've read a couple of Leonard Cohen poems in search of lyrical inspiration.

No joy there.

Instead, I've come to the confessional.

I've copped out.

I'm going to meet Colin and the boys from Magic Ship tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to meeting Colin after all our previous telephone and internet contact.

The band have arranged to have their photograph taken by a professional photographer in the pub where I'm meeting them.

I called Colin earlier today to get details of our meeting.

I can't help feel disappointed and frustrated about how badly my own band is doing, when I speak to Colin about Magic Ship. They're recording a second album. And they seem to be able to get paid pretty much whenever they play.

There follows, three statements:

I'm not doing it for the money (?)

I'll do it even if there is no money (Loser)

I've got used to there being no money. (More like it)

My name is Toby Burton. I am a hobbyist.

That's four or five, I know. I shouldn't be writing.

I am just happy/lucky to get a gig, and to get some people to watch it. We can barely afford to rehearse, let alone record. Our guitarist can't even afford the travel fare. By the time he gets to rehearsal, our drummer is mentally exhausted from his day at work. My bass player's got a kid on the way and money is obviously tight for him and his partner right now. Recording is therefore, and rightly, not a priority.

Me. I need to eat something.....

Cornflakes. Bananas. Tin peaches, milk and sugar.

In other news: I'm still waiting to hear from John Idas and The Beautiful Losers about whether they want to play the Rock-Til-You-Drop night at the Boileroom. The Zone are up for it.

When I spoke to Neil from Beautiful Losers, he seemed particularly concerned with what they might be paid to play the gig. I was gonna say, who do you think you are, Crazy Horse? But of course I didn't (see, I shouldn't be writing this). They are obviously semi-professional. Maybe even full professionals? I know John Idan is. He however, has agreed to drop his usual fee for the night, and for the cause. I hope all the bands get some money from the show. I just can't guarantee it.

Am I in the only band in the world that doesn't get paid to play? That can't get a decent crowd to see us.

See here comes the self-pity. Pathetic, isn't it?

Anyway, B.L. are checking the links that I sent them to the site and stuff. You'd think they might have got back by now? How long do I leave it before I chase them? Or do I chase them?

On the bright side, the Great Outdoor Experience seem keen to play the Camden gig.

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

Don't be too down on yourself.

1. you are in a band... I can't even get that much shit together - I've been a bedroom warrior most of my life

2. MagicShip and dear Col are either a brilliant inspiration to all of us (ahem) more mature rockstars in waiting or a pain in the arse and too much of a smartarse for his own bloody good :-)

But then why are you doing it? It is just to have an outlet a hobby? Or do you have some other more materialistic end? Do you want money, your album high on the iPod download chart?

I suppose I still dream one day I'll just put a band together and 6 months later I'll be playing Wembley... hmm that is probably the kind of attitude that means I'll never get there.

Unknown said...

Thanks man.

You must ignore my next, even more pathetic, blog entry.

And sorry.