Friday 26 June 2009

Pop-Til-You-Drop


I've never been a huge fan of Michael Jackson's music, but as you know many millions of people are. Being a pathological nostalgist, I like the odd song that carries with it an enduring memory of my youth.

The Jackson 5 song ABC has always been a favourite, never failing to remind me of the times, as a younger musician, that I signed on at the Lisson Grove DHSS, where it was regularly played to remind those standing in the dole queue, that getting a job could be as "easy as 1-2-3, A-B-C...". Being a budding rock-star, I of course, didn't want a job at the time.

Beat It too holds memories, slightly fonder, of being at 6th form college, of the jukebox in the student common room there, and of the evenings I spent attempting to master Eddie Van Halen's iconic 80s guitar solo, employing my newly purchased guitar's new-fangled tremolo system. I still love that solo.

Michael Jackson, along with Prince and Madonna, is a pop icon of my generation and I can't help feeling sadness at the news of his death. I wouldn't be blogging about it if I didn't. Maybe it's that his death, and that of another icon of my youth Farrah Fawcett, who died yesterday of cancer, simply serve to remind me of the passing of youth, of life's fraility, complexity and its lottery-like odds.

So, I might just get out that vinyl copy of Thriller (acquired from my record-playerless sister, I might add!), crack open a beer, strap on my air-guitar, and give Beat It a whirl later. I did say I was a pathological nostalgist, didn't I?

3 comments:

Ash said...

Yeah - I love the 'Beat it' riff. Covered it in 6/8 which was fun. His death has definitely had an impact on me. Shall be joining you with beers and musical memories tonight. Hell, I even ordered 'Moonwalker' on DVD...

;D

Jackie Potato said...

It won't do his posthumus record sales any harm. Probably pay off a few debts along the way. I bought a smattering of J5 along the years but loved 'Off The Wall'. Now that was a great album of all time. Sho' nuff. And I'm not black, but I prefered him when he was.

Lynda Polson said...

I was not much of a fan either - in fact I don't have one track of MJ's on my collection. Did do an audition once with a backing track of 'She's out of my life', loved his video's and have had various tracks of his running through my head since he died.