Friday 16 July 2010

Not the whole of the Moon


Where was I? I know, Saturday 10th July. I'm sorry, I seem to be falling behind with my blog. To catch up, I'll have to stop digressing and rambling, and preaching.

Last Saturday came the day Pocket Rocket played the Somers Town Community Street Festival, which had been organised, in large part by RTYD member Stephen Denholm for ten years now. And it was he, who kindly offered PocRoc a place on the afternoon bill. Those who follow this blog may remember my desperate attempts to get a drummer for this gig. Those who don't, need only know that I failed in this mission.

So we played with our drum machine The Phantom Limb, with which we have been rehearsing in the last few months during our drummer search. As I've said, I like playing to drum machine to a point, it's good for working up songs, and it's so reliable and its timing is impeccable. However, live, it doesn't rise to the adrenaline rush of the occasion, and on Saturday it sounds slow, when in fact it is spot-on. It doesn't count you in either. Instead it requires starting, like Keith Moon might have done on an inebriated and self-medicated occasion or two. And then, it's not like Keith Moon at all. Which, however much I prefer Jon Bonham as a drummer, is disappointing.

The new songs went down well and were fun to sing and play, though. And it was nice to perform in the outdoors.

No comments: